The University’s big projects
In close collaboration with its partners and networks, the University of Lille designs and implements innovative programmes in research, training and knowledge transfer, always with the aim of responding to the major challenges of our society. By merging Lille's three universities, it has empowered itself to achieve its ambition of accessing major funding programmes (I-SITE University of Lille Nord-Europe, opération campus, etc.).
The I-SITE University of Lille Nord-Europe (I-SITE ULNE) is an ambitious project to systemically transform the whole research and higher education landscape in the Hauts-de-France region. It encompasses the University of Lille, eight grandes écoles, three research organisations (CNRS, Inserm, Inria), the CHU and the Pasteur Institute of Lille. Its aim is to create a large international university that ranks among the top 50 in Europe within 10 years: the University of Lille Nord-Europe (ULNE).
Certified an I-SITE in February 2017 during the 2nd wave of the Investissements d’Avenir Programme, the project is structured around three interconnected themes covering a broad range of subjects: health, the planet and the digital world. Internationalisation and the strengthening of partnerships with the socio-economic world are also central to its priorities.
Discover the I-SITE ULNE
The University of Lille coordinates the projects of the investissements d’avenir programme with the laboratories of excellence, the equipment of excellence, the integrated cancer research site and the technology transfer accelerator company.
The University of Lille has been certified under the French State’s “Plan campus”, a scheme designed to create 12 campuses of excellence with the support of the local authorities. The Grand Lille campus plan takes the form of major real estate construction projects, with a total investment of over 450 million euros.
In parallel with this plan, the University of Lille is pursuing an ambitious real estate investment policy with the aim of making the campuses more attractive and contributing to the improvement of living and working conditions.
Examples of major achievements in the field of research
- the construction of the Chevreul Institute: a building dedicated to material chemistry research
- the reconstruction-extension of the D building for research in the fields of STIC-Soft (information and soft communication sciences and technologies), electrical engineering, civil and geo-environmental engineering and mechanics
- the restructuring of the health research cluster
Examples of exceptional operations in the field of training
- the new university space in Roubaix: a university building that welcomes 2,300 students in a space of 7,650 m2 containing two training and research units: the institute of marketing and retail management (IMMD) and the applied foreign languages (LEA) training and research unit.
- The IUT C, the first French higher education building to earn BEPOS (positive energy) and Passivhaus (energy efficient) certification: this will welcome 1,300 students at the beginning of the 2018 academic year. website
- Eurasport: a unique building, bringing together treatment activities, training and physical activities on the theme of sport, as well as the headquarters of the multidisciplinary sport, health and society research unit (URePSSS).
Libraries of the future
The Learning centre dedicated to innovation:
- LILLIAD Learning center Innovation
- The Learning center for health, which aims to link differentiated services and spaces in order to better meet expectations and reflect new practices in education and learning.
- The Learning center for archaeology - egyptology - humanities and social sciences: a future multimedia center for document resources and knowledge dissemination, scheduled to open in 2022.